Create a romantic dinner at home with elegant and easy-to-make mozzarella stuffed chicken. Your loved one will dig this delicious dish, and you'll love spending less time in the kitchen and more time with your Valentine.
Hands-on Time: 30 min.| Total Time: 50 min. | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Medium
- 4 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Kroger™ Marinara Pasta Sauce
- Fresh basil to garnish, chopped
- Cut each chicken breast in half and pound the pieces until they are thin; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the spinach until just wilted. Combine the spinach with the ricotta cheese, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the egg whites. Place the remaining egg whites in a separate shallow bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray the bottom of a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place one piece of chicken on a flat work surface. Put a spoonful of ricotta filling in the middle of the chicken, then roll the chicken so the edges meet to form a seam. Dip the chicken roll in the egg whites, then roll it in the breadcrumbs. Place in baking dish, seam side down. Repeat for each piece of chicken.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Top chicken with the marinara sauce and slices of fresh mozzarella. Bake for another 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.
- Complete your romantic meal with a side of roasted maple Brussels sprouts. Pair with sauvignon blanc.
Per serving: Calories 360, Calories from Fat 120, Total Fat 14g (22% DV), Saturated Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 680mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates 15g (5% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 3g, Protein 40g, Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 35%, Iron 10%.